It’s official! Netflix has renewed The Umbrella Academy for Season 2!
- Netflix has renewed The Umbrella Academy for a second season.
- The cast set to reprise their roles include Ellen Page, Tom Hopper, David Castañeda, Emmy Raver-Lampman, Robert Sheehan, Aidan Gallagher, and Justin Min. Additional casting news for season two will be announced at a later date.
- Steve Blackman (Fargo, Altered Carbon) will return as Showrunner and Executive Producer.
- Executive Producers also set to return alongside Blackman include Jeff F. King (EP), Mike Richardson (EP), Keith Goldberg (EP), Gerard Way (Co-EP), and Gabriel Bá (Co-EP).
- The season two order includes 10 one-hour episodes and will be produced by UCP (Universal Content Productions) for Netflix.
- Production will begin this summer in Toronto, Canada.
Netflix released its earnings report for the recent financial quarter, which contained data about the platform’s most popular offerings. The report declared Umbrella Academy had been viewed by more than 45 million member households in its first month, showing the appeal of the adaptation of Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá’s comic. Umbrella Academy managed to secure as many views as the new documentaries Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened and Our Planet combined!
The Umbrella Academy premiered on Netflix on February 15th and was met with huge critical and commercial acclaim. In its opening week The Umbrella Academy was the biggest digital show in the US! According to Parrot Analytics, a data analytics firm who believe they offer the most accurate measure of demand for TV worldwide, demand for The Umbrella Academy grew exponentially over opening the weekend, as shown in this chart, which compares The Umbrella Academy to the rest of the current top 10.
When it rains, it pours. Meet The Umbrella Academy! A dysfunctional family of superheroes comes together to solve the mystery of their father’s death, the threat of the apocalypse and more. Adapted from the Dark Horse comic created by Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá. Check out the comics that inspired the hit series!
The critics have spoken! The Umbrella Academy is a must-watch!
“The show is every bit as good, as delightfully odd, and as touching as the comic.” -Vox.com
“While the title might evoke images of dark clouds, the forecast for Umbrella Academy actually looks pretty bright.” -CNN
“The Umbrella Academy is incredibly interesting, enjoyable, quirky, and well worth your time.” -Collider
Watch The Umbrella Academy on Netflix! Check out the trailers below.
About The Umbrella Academy S1:
On the same day in 1989, forty-three infants are inexplicably born to random, unconnected women who showed no signs of pregnancy the day before. Seven are adopted by a billionaire who creates The Umbrella Academy and prepares his “children” to save the world. Now, the six surviving members reunite upon the news of their father’s passing and must work together to solve a mystery surrounding his death. But the estranged family begins to come apart due to their divergent personalities and abilities, not to mention the imminent threat of a global apocalypse. The Umbrella Academy is based on the comic book series created and written by Gerard Way, illustrated by Gabriel Bá, and published by Dark Horse Comics. The show is produced by UCP for Netflix, with Steve Blackman serving as executive producer and showrunner, and additional EPs Jeff F. King, Mike Richardson, Keith Goldberg, Gerard Way, and Gabriel Bá.